The past week has been crazy busy. Things at work, which, typically, slow down between Thanksgiving and New Year’s, have been extraordinarily hectic. I have to keep reminding myself to take some deep breaths. Thankfully, Olga has been the voice of reason and I’ve begun reminding myself that it’s only work. I have begun full swing into training for the Austin Marathon. I’ve been running for the past several weeks, but nothing at an intense pace.
That all changed last Wednesday when I did a few fartleks during a night trail run. And, deciding to run a half marathon the day before the race, and, then, treating it as an “ordinary” day in the scope of my training schedule has left me with no downtime from running. What I am discovering, though, is how rewarding it is to push hard on the days when necessary and go “easy” on the days in between. I’m having to acclimate my body, again, to what it feels like to run hard on the road. I have ten workouts to complete this week and that requires a few two-a-days—Saturday is my rest day. The biggest change this Fall was foregoing the local ultras so I could focus my efforts on the February marathon and the Summer ultras. It is a break I needed. For the past three years, I have participated in Sunmart, but I didn’t go this time, and it felt strange. Throughout the day, I kept thinking about where I would be on the course.
I’ve, also, been keeping tabs on what I eat. I’m accountable to Olga for sending her my daily food diary. And, it’s been very helpful, especially during this time of the year when it’s easy to over indulge in sweets. We even upped the challenge by being required to do 20 push ups for each time we eat something bad. Actually, I do 40 and Olga does 20 for each slip up I make and vice-versa. If that doesn’t make you think about what you eat, then, I don’t know what will. And, it’s kind of fun to tease each other about it during the day. It is keeping me on track, though.
I joined Facebook this week, which was just crazy with all kinds of activity, at first. I had no idea how popular it was until I joined. I can see how it could turn into a real time waster really quick. I have a great weekend planned with my son, which I am very excited about. We’re going to go get a tree tonight and decorate it. All the lights and ornaments are at home just waiting for the tree. And, the following weekend, we’ll be together for 10 straight days!!! We’re road tripping to Oklahoma to visit my family for Christmas. It will be our first road trip together and I am looking forward to it, since I will get to see both of my sisters, whom I haven’t seen in a long time, and, of course, I get to see my mom.
I was thinking this morning… No matter how terrible things may seem from day to day, due to work stress, and many other things in my life, there are always those who are in a far worse situation. I am grateful for the simple things in life, such as bed to sleep in at night, a toothbrush (yes, there are some who don’t even have one of those!), and a good pair of shoes. My issues are inconsequential. And, I am extremely grateful for everything in my life.
1 comment:
Hmm, just to make your life more interesting today, and since you slept in, may be I should go and load on chocolate...and you get to be punished? LOL! Hard training is good, glad you're loving it! And yay for a road trip with Harrison!
Post a Comment