Monday, April 20, 2009

Memory Loss...

Sometimes, we lose almost complete memory of what we endured at certain trail races. The view above is the view from the top of the first climb. I don't remember this view because, the year I ran it, it was almost dark (we ran the East to West direction). And, don't let the picture fool you. Close up, here is what I remember. And, yes, there is a trail smack dab in the lower center part of the picture, below.
















And, the middle miles don't seem to get any easier when the clumps of grass hide the rocks from plain view...


















I, seriously, at one point in the race, was hoping a rattlesnake would bite me and take me out of my misery. It was the hardest I have ever fought for a finish and is still my proudest moment and the buckle (yes! you get a buckle for this one since it's so damn hard!) is my most cherished finish schwag from a race. It's, also, at this race where I met a very special woman who kicked my ass and was drinking beer while I was on the course for another two hours. Now, back then, I didn't know Olga, except that, well, it was "Olga". Who didn't know the name? How could you not know the name? Now, the name has an entirely different meaning to me. There's only one Olga and I'm one lucky guy. Photo below courtesy of Luis Escobar.









2 comments:

Olga said...

Now I just have to hope you'll leave some beer for ME at the finish. And don't you dare sit on that rock again! :) I had an awesome picture, I'll have to dig it out, it is much gnarlier than these. I think it was from mid-miles, you know, the billion of miles around mid-point that was nowhere to end, rocks strewn, hills up and down...when you can't run either up OR down. Well, as I said, since this year I am fighting cut off's, it's my pleasure to carry a camera and take real pictures!

Moogy said...

GOOD LUCK dude!!