Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Walk

For the last four plus weeks, it's been pretty rough. This is the first time I've ever been injured for an extended period of time to the point where I can't run. My other "injuries" required a few days rest before I was back on the trails. Not this time. 

I spent the first few weeks feeling sorry for myself and visiting the sports chiro multiple times per week to get some relief with no success. After going to a sports doc this past week and being prescribed a steroid pack, I thought, maybe, must maybe, I would turn the corner, but it was short-lived hope.

I use running as a meditative activity to keep my mind calm. Without it, it's been a huge struggle. The frustrating part of it all is I was in the best shape of my life back in February and had never been stronger on the trail and had never trained so consistently well . I was regularly smashing previous splits and total times on the trail each week. That, obviously, came to a screeching halt.  So, I figured if I couldn't run, then I wouldn't do anything.

Two weekends ago, I was feeling better and completed a short run on the treadmill and felt great. With excitement, I began a trail run the next day and felt awesome until I finished all the uphill running. Around four miles in, I began a descent and immediately had to begin walking. I covered the next two miles in 50 minutes. Back to the couch! It took reading another friends blog, who is also injured, and reading about the insane cross training he is doing to keep in shape to change my perspective. That really made me feel like a dumb ass, but at the same time inspired. Thanks, Naresh!

Last Friday, I went back on the trail with Olga to do nothing but walk. I covered four miles in an hour, thirty.  At one point, I became so frustrated at the pain I was experiencing on a downhill that I threw my water bottle as far as possible down the trail. On Saturday, I went out again and walked ten miles and felt awesome. Another eleven on Sunday and it took only 50 seconds longer than the ten on Saturday. The last four days, 31 miles of fast walking. After last evening's walk, I was suprised at how challenging it is to maintain an 4 mph pace. A great workout. And, so I continue. My goal this week is 50 miles of walking.

I was told that this injury is the best thing that could have happened to me.  I have to agree for reasons I'll keep to myself.  Being on the cusp of bagging my Spring race season with airline tickets bought months ago is hard to stomach. Regardless, I'm going to Zane Grey, whether, or not, I run it.

4 comments:

Olga said...

Glad you're going to ZG. You need fresh air. And get away from me:)

Anonymous said...

sounds crazy fun. but weather is too good to be wasted. have a blast.

naresh

Anonymous said...

Pullin for ya buddy to get healthy soon!

aka Moogy said...

Hang in there dude, it will all come back soon. After almost 6 months off I am finally getting back into it...albeit pedestrian...but still. Blessed that I can even do this and hoping it hangs on. I KNOW that you are one tough mofo.
"A lot of people run to see who is the fastest. I run to see who has the most guts". Pre...