In the interest of being transparent about what my race goals were for Ozark, I've posted my original pace chart, along with the actual deltas to the plan. Obviously, my time goal was extremely aggressive and I knew that going into the race. Trying to run a 21 hour time at this race is a monumental task, but my thought process came down to if I didn't try I would never know. Nevertheless, I began the race at a very conservative pace, which still seemed a little quick for the terrain, but I wasn't labored in my breathing so I maintained the pace. While I was surprised that I hadn't reached the first aid station when the time elapsed at 1h34m, I didn't become too concerned and marked it up to the distance being a little longer than advertised when I rolled into the aid station 11 minutes later. I didn't change my pace going to Sutton Bluff and, instead, decided to accept the first aid station distance was long and the next section would be short, thus, making up the time. But, it didn't work out that way. Another 13 minutes given up to the clock.
My strategy after mile 17.6 was to just maintain the pace I had been running, since it seemed easy and I saw no relevant reason to push the pace--I wanted to have plenty in the tank for the last 30 miles. The realization that I would no longer meet my overall time goal wasn't difficult to acknowledge and I easily accepted I would just continue to leak time to my pace chart. Keep in mind that I was battling a lot of mental and physical fatigue since mile 8. The legs felt great and were never sore since I felt I was laying back on the pace, but I was doing the best I could given my strong desire to just rest. That feeling stayed with me until I DNF'd. Never did the thought that I had 94 more miles (102 mile course) cross my mind. It was all about just getting to the next aid station.
When I got to Highway DD at mile 51 (exact midpoint), 12h04m had elapsed, which was way off the pace chart, but, again, I had accepted this very early on in the race. I found it interesting that if I removed the 15 minutes spent at mile 43.5, I would have, technically, ran my fastest section to mile 51 with a 13:01/mile pace. But, it still seemed slow in that section, even considering I also tried unsuccessfully to take a nap along the trail.
3 comments:
May be, if you stop putting pressure on yourself just about everywhere, life will get a tad easier and much more enjoyable for you and those around you:) Not that you shouldn't strive for better, but pressure is not good either. There is a difference, a subtle, but oh, so huge. All your loved ones want is for you to be happy, not some hard core goals to beat. I really don't know how to explain the difference between not slacking off and being happy without extra pressure. You gotta find it yourself.
Now you're sounding depressed and down on yourself. I'm quite sure you are as good as you thought, but there is more to it. You are right that things have to line up right for best results, and all the training in the world won't prevent suboptimal conditions like aftereffects of illness or unexpected injury or getting lost... Probably more realistic expectations would help prevent disappointment. Being goal directed is exciting and motivating, but we also need to enjoy the journey, even when it doesn't go as planned. It sounds like you made the right decision to end this journey a little early so you could rest.
Cynthia
I know that funks suck and you are too good of a runner/person to let it get the best of ya. My thoughts are w/ ya as you pull through...and you WILL!
I am also sending massive positive energy for the lottery next weekend. Cheers dude...
Post a Comment