I've been taking is very easy over the past several weeks--way easy. But, that ends tomorrow with the beginning of a new training cycle. I feel that the last two races have been almost thoroughly digested emotionally and the only path to follow is the one that leads me forward.
This past weekend was a huge letdown for all of about ten minutes, ok..., maybe thirty minutes, after not making it through the Western States lottery for a third time. I've been entering the lottery each year since the fall of 2007 with no luck and a cancelled lottery year thrown in the mix. But, now, that has been digested, too. I'll still enter the lottery next year, but it will not take precedence over my training schedule for other races. Instead, I'll treat is as an additional race, if I'm chosen, which will have to be worked into my training for other races. It' probably a more healthy way to approach it since I seem to get all worked up about the lottery each December.
But, back to my training...
I've yet to make any solid plans for the first half of next year. The goal for the next several months is to work on my long lost speed. Yes, it's still there hiding in my legs and mind, but it needs a lot of work. I'll run a few really short races that are integrated into my training plan that leads to a 50 miler in February. I've got one more lottery this week to see how the first half of 2011 shapes up and if that one doesn't land in my favor, I will, most likely focus on shorter distance ultras for a good part of next year to give my mind and body a much needed break. Of course, I will reserve the right to change my mind, depending on how I progress over the next few months. And, progression is really the key. No miracles, just improvement.
Regardless, I do appreciate the highs and lows I've experienced in this crazy sport. It has provided a much needed dulling of the ego. Overall, I'm excited to get started, which is something I haven't been able to acknowledge for a long time.
2 comments:
i started seeing this sport with a new frame of mind over this summer - after all we cannot force passion.
happy trails
naresh
You were smart enough to take a well deserved break. Please do share your training experiences- I'm looking forward to hearing how your year unfolds.
Cynthia
Post a Comment