Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Alive and Kicking

It's been awhile since I've posted so here is a rather dry, boring post.  The training is going good and the past few workouts were decent...
  • 20 mile easy road run rolling hills (2:38:20 ttl)
    • ran negative split for second half
  • 9 mile treadmill run with 3x 15 minute hill repeats 5% incline @ 8:27 pace (1:20:00 ttl)
    • the repeats this week get way tougher (mostly mental for me!) since they get bumped to 20 minutes per with less recovery time
  • 8.5 mile treadmill run with 20 minutes @ 6:31 pace (1:10:00 ttl)
    • 95% effort, which was too high, but the gym was way too warm, so there goes the heart rate!
  • 7 mile trail run on Forest Ridge (59:33 ttl)
    • was supposed to be a 25 mile road run, but I chose, instead, to sleep in with Olga after her 50 miler from the day before and run around mid-day at a higher effort
The body seems to be cooperating, at least for now, but that's probably due to the low training mileage.  There is a long crescendo from now on until I begin a brief taper before the race. I've also been on a quest to drop a few pounds and have made steady, albeit, slow progress.  I've cut out Cokes for over a month now and gave up mochas 3+ weeks ago.  Thankfully, I'm finally over the hump of having the urges, even though the Starbucks is literally less than a 2 minute walk from my desk within the confines of my building.  I'm also making an attempt to cut down on refined sugar, which is a very tough one for me.  This hasn't been as successful, however.  Regardless, I'm very thankful to have an awesome support system in my wife, who also doubles as my coach, motivator, and sports psychologist.  I'm one lucky guy!

Overall, it's about making improvements, even if they're small.

2 comments:

Olga said...

Doesn't she also doubles as one you love to hate and get frustrated with? Step away from that vending machine! :) Solid efforts, nothing gets done overnight.

Your lucky half.

meredith said...

Starbucks in the building...as if getting through a workday wasn't hard enough. Great job on the workouts!!