Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Summer, you win!!!

Ok. I've reached my limit, which seems to be mostly mental, but a limit nonetheless.  My motivation to train has suddenly vanished.

Today will mark the 70th day (and breaking an 86 year standing record!) this Summer with temperatures at or above 100 degrees. And, the short-term forecast ensures we'll stretch that streak to at least 76 days in Austin.


This weekend I'm running in an 30k trail race, which begins at 7pm.  That is when the temperatures have just hit their peak and are slowly beginning to ebb. The high for Saturday is 108, which would be the hottest so far this year.  Enough of the meteorologist mantra!

I am tired.  Tired of getting into a car at the end of each work day that feels like the inside of an oven.  Driving with the air conditioner on it's highest setting and not getting any cooling effect until 20 minutes later when I'm pulling into home.  Tired of getting out of the car with the entire backside of my shirt drenched in sweat from that 20 minute drive. Yes, I'm putting up a fairly good whine right now.  The heat just wears on you after awhile.

Last year, I promised I wouldn't train through another Austin Summer for a Fall race.  We had 68 days at or above 100 degrees last year.  It's definitely possible to train through it and I did it with great success, but it took everything I had to do it.  This year that doesn't seem to be the case. I've become impatient with the heat and long for a high mountain ridge trail.  This morning, Olga basically had to drag me to the gym so I could do my speed work.  I quit after one 1-mile repeat, which wasn't even considered "speed" since I ran it at marathon (6:52) pace.  And, the heart rate monitor verified that by averaging 144bpm, which is at the top end of my easy effort.  Regardless, it felt like a hard effort.

Days like today make me want to crawl back into bed and sleep all day.  My goal race on November 5th can't get here soon enough!  And, let's not even talk about this Summer...

3 comments:

Julie said...

I feel your pain! It's been horrible in Oklahoma this year too and my family is tired of hearing me whine about being sick of the heat. Of course, they don't run..they sit in the A/C while I do. And they aren't getting up at 4:30 am to run while the temps are at the lowest point of the day...84 degrees. This summer has been brutal.
Trying really hard to talk the family into considering moving to Oregon. Fingers crossed for me!
Hang in there...hopefully in a few weeks the temps will start coming down some.

Olga said...

Julie, move to OR!! And when you do, I'll come visit!

Julie said...

You've got a deal, Olga! :)
We vacationed in Portland, OR last summer and I absolutely fell in love with the Pacific Northwest. Being there made me wonder how in the world I have been able to live in OK my whole life?!?! Got to run a trail race in Forest Park..what an experience! Loved every second of it and cannot wait to go back.