Friday, December 30, 2011

At the Beginning

The running has been slow going, at best, for the last 8 weeks.  I've been attempting to get back on the horse since Ozark without much success.  When I DNF'd at mile 81, the only thing hurting were my feet--badly.  And, somehow, two weeks later when I went out for my first run, it was an utter disaster.  So, I waited another week and began experiencing what I would consider an injury when I attempted to run.  Albeit, without the nicety of it being caused by overuse, but, rather, a lack thereof.  What irony!

There have been multiple visits to a sports doc for little to no relief.  The only prescription, which seems to be something I know too well but have been poor at doing, is stretch.  Now, let me explain that I'm not very limber and something of a "project".  But, maybe, after the last few years, because of being sidelined with an "injury" (I use that in quotations since it's nerve entrapment-related), I have begun a daily routine of using a foam roller.  This act alone has me in tears every time. 

At least, I am now on a run/walk regime although it is with no more than 30 minutes at a time and even that has taken most of my physical effort during the run portions of each outing. And, this is only a 3x/week activity.  The other days are spent cross training on a stationary bike, but no spin class since I cannot do the portions where you stand and pedal. And, that's better than when I was in Arkansas last week with Olga for what was supposed to be a week long experience of blissful trail running in the local mountains. The one true day I eventually got out on the trails to run was slow and painful. I became so frustrated in my inability to run that I just wanted to scream and throw my water bottle as far and deep into the woods as possible--we're talking 6 miles in 2 hours...

This morning, I went out for one of my standard 30 minute "efforts" of alternating running and walking.  To my surprise, I was able to run without a gimp (The gimp I've had is not pain related but nerve related. I am unable to control how my leg lands with each stride) and without any discernible pain.  Hopefully, this Sunday, when I do another "run", it will be similar in experience.

One thing I have discovered is how much this has stripped several layers of ego away.  And, I'm very grateful for that.  Although, it was my intent to start "at the beginning" with this training cycle, I didn't realize how true those plans would be.  I am stil excited about the upcoming year and curious in how it will unfold.  Having patience and faith will be key in meeting my running goals.  Deep down inside, the fire is still there and seems to be burning hot as lava--essentially, the most intense I've ever felt.

On another note, it will seem rather strange over the next several weeks to not be attending Bandera or Rocky.  These two races are the epitome of what central Texas trail running is all about and I'll miss seeing all the familiar faces.  I never had plans to run either race, but, at least, being there in the middle of the atmosphere, whether volunteering or spectating, is something I've always enjoyed.

In the meantime, I'm at square one where running a 50 miler, let alone 100, seems impossible. It's a place that reminds me of how things were in my training when I first began trail running.  It's a place I am glad to be right now...

1 comment:

Olga said...

There is a reason we may not completely realize why we are thrown so far back in our running. And I agree, it is something to be thankful for. It will teach far more than any great training will. It will teach a lot of what we all need in life...just like hard training did, but from a completely different angle.