Thursday, April 17, 2008

Seize the moment

Immediately after finishing a track workout this past month, I walked a few times around the track to cool down. I began thinking of all the things that have changed in my life over the past year, especially, the last few months. There are many things that I began to realize I miss. Just a few in no particular order...

My Cairn Terrier, Bailey. Every morning when I would wake up, he would be at my bedside laying patiently on the floor, at my bedside. His tail would begin wagging as soon as my feet touched the floor. He'd follow me into the bathroom, as I began my shower. He'd lay next to the shower door waiting for me to finish, again, waiting for my attention. As I'd dry off, he'd proceed to lay down directly in front of my sink, knowing that I'd soon make my way over to begin shaving. Another opportunity for me to pet him and I would always pick him up at this point and give him extra attention before begining to shave. You get the idea. He was my shadow. He's still at the house, but I am not.

Tucking my son into bed every night, reading him a story, singing him his favorite night-night song, kissing him on the forehead or cheek, and telling him how much I love him. I'd always go check on him one last time before I would go to sleep each night and make any adjustments to his blankets, pillow, stuffed animals, and kiss him on the forehead and whisper to him while he slept how much I loved him. Those nights are rare, nowadays. But, I still look forward to the experience, because one day, soon, he will abscond my ritual. It's important to sieze every opportunity now while he is at such a young, tender age.

My Grandfather. He passed away a few years ago. He was the closest person I had as a father figure. I loved him, feared him at times, respected him, and always have been grateful for all the life lessons he taught me. I have him to thank for my work ethic and adventourous nature. He knew when to work hard and he knew when it was time to laugh and play. To me, he was the closest thing, mortally, to God. He was a powerful influence in my life growing up and still is today. He is with me at my side, always. I miss you Grandad...

I suppose the point in sharing this is to express how important it is to not take for granted the people, even pets, in your life. It's easy to do when they're a constant part of your life. It's important to cherish the moments now, soak it in, smile, and be eternally grateful. None of us know what tomorrow brings. Today is the day you must live.

1 comment:

Bob - BlogMYruns.com said...

Today is the day you must live.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Amen!!

I know u know this BUT when things are tough for you, understand that their are people who have it a thousand times worse. This I hope helps you to keep things in perspective and to KEEP on being grateful for all that you have now and in your future!

Good post!