Friday, August 15, 2008
It's a journey
I have been doing a lot of reflecting over this past weekend's DNF at Headlands. When I made the decision on the course, I knew it was the correct choice. Regardless, I find myself, almost a week later, beating myself up for stopping. These thoughts have emerged within the past 24 hours, or so. Call it a post-race DNF depression. I think the realization I cannot train the way I would like for a 100 mile race, due to already living a very full life, is finally beginning to become apparent. And, I understand the logic in the conclusion and wouldn't change my circumstances. But, that still doesn't make it any less difficult to accept. I have a huge burning desire to, one day, compete in Hardrock. And, realizing my only chance to get my name in the lottery next year and begin accumulating tickets for an eventual Hardrock start isn't going to happen, because I'm not going to run the hundred at Teton, is a hard pill to swallow. Nevertheless, it is reality. Thankfully, I still get to go to Silverton next year and immerse myself in the race environment. I am writing this down and openly sharing it in hopes it will assist me in processing through my thoughts.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
7 comments:
hey man, hopefully you won't let this keep you down too long. as someone who also can't train as hard as I'd like, I understand your frustrations. I call it "when life interferes with running." That expression sounds so silly that it reminds me of my priorities.
Anyways, maybe I'll see you this weekend out at Pedernales.
Hey. Put Headlands in the past. Tetons will be a blast - see you there.
I was at the 58 mile aid station when you and Olga arrived while waiting for my runner. Kudos to you for knowing when to put on the brakes! I recently pulled myself from my first 100 at the same distance due to injury.
It's not the destination, it's the journey!
Would you look at all this support~ And what's up with verification letters? You think it's easy to type them after 63 miles and 2 nights no sleep? :)
I'm going through the same depression over Pb-ville. Hurry up and figure out the solution to the problem.
Hey man, there will be other 100's. Tetons 50 will be a blast. We'll see you on the trail soon...
BTW love the music on your page.
-John
Ya'll are AWESOME! Thanks for the kind words. :)
Post a Comment