Monday, August 25, 2008

Life and Living

There’s quite a bit floating around in my mind right now, so, I thought I’d try to coherently express what I’ve been thinking…

One thing is certain. Life is an adventure and we have a choice. I accept the invitation to embrace my unique life and make the most of each day, instead of just letting things happen. Life isn’t easy, at times, but it is about making the most out of what we experience. In this day and age, we are soft. Really soft. Regardless of what we think, life was a hell of a lot tougher years ago in the not so modern age a few generations ago. My grandparents lived through the Great Depression. I’ve heard many stories, mostly from my Grandmother, and have always been inspired how they made the most of difficult times. The one theme that seemed to always repeat itself was how people came together, helped and supported one another, and did their best to keep their spirits up.

Although my childhood definitely had its ups and downs, I think, mostly, of the experiences that bring a smile to my face. I was born and raised in a town where Will Rogers is a household name. Hell, it better be! His bones rest at the top of a hill that overlooks the entire town. The one quote from him that has always stuck with me is, “I never met a man I didn’t like.”. I’ve tried to live my life by that quote. Always look for the good in people. I think it is human nature to want to be good. Sometimes, though, people lose their way for many reasons. Regardless, I think each human being has qualities in them that each of us can take and integrate into our daily lives. What’s not to like about that? Hence, the reason I like the quote. I remember all the times I spent on my Grandfather’s farm. It was actually a ranch, but that seemed to be too sophisticated of a name. There were lots of cattle on a large parcel of land. The number of head and acreage are numbers that are as personal as asking how much money someone makes. Yet, people would ask it all the time. All that mattered to me was we had cows and I had a large playground with a river, ponds, lakes, creeks, forests, hills, and pastures that kept me endlessly entertained as a kid. I'm thankful I got to live out in the country and experience it firsthand. Yes! I’m a farm boy and damn proud of it. I’m a city dweller now, but my spirit will always be happiest when I’m out in the country around livestock, barbed wire fences, and pasture. On the farm, it was hard to beat a sunset on a cool autumn evening after cutting wood all day long or fixing fence. I really think it was about being outside. Maybe, that’s why I like ultrarunning so much. I get to be outside and the physical exertion of running reminds me of my experiences on the farm of working until I was exhausted and almost too tired to eat dinner after a full day of work.

When I was five years old, I was involved in a farming accident. My Grandfather was plowing a field on a cool, late afternoon in Autumn. One of my Aunts was riding on the tractor with my Grandfather as I ran beside it in the field waiting impatiently to get a ride. Finally, I got my turn. There was a toolbox mounted on top of the left fender with a triangle-shaped red-orange “slow moving equipment” sign attached to the back of the toolbox. It made the perfect perch to sit upon while riding with my Grandfather. While sitting on my perch, we began, initially, crossing a small ravine. I lost my balance and fell forward. To this day, I still vividly remember my Grandfather reaching for me as I fell to the ground and the rear left tractor wheel ran completely over my head and body. I remember the look of fear on my Grandfather’s face as he tried in vain to grab me before I slipped under the wheel. I was able to see his face because, when I fell, in my terror, I managed to twist my body around and, with my back facing the ground to which I would fall, I could easily see his expression. He was able to get the tractor stopped, just before the twenty-plus foot plow discs reached my body. One of the discs did, however, barely nip the end of my right middle finger. I still have that scar on my finger. I remember it, as if it happened yesterday, being in the front seat of the pickup truck while my step father drove me frantically to the hospital. The fear in his eyes and expression was apparent. The doctors examined me head-to-toe and found no broken bones or major trauma. I was fortunate. This is actually the first time I have written about the accident. A few years ago, my Grandmother gave me an original newspaper clipping, which she had framed, describing the accident. It was the first time I had read about what occurred that day. I am thankful I am alive today. I have experienced many things in my short lifetime, both good and bad, and wouldn’t change a thing. It has resulted in the person I am today.

I feel blessed to experience life nowadays. There was a time not too long ago when I didn’t feel that way. Thankfully, I realize each day is truly about making the best effort at living, regardless of circumstances. We may not have power over some things in our lives, but we do have a choice in how we react to the circumstances. Things that used to bother me rarely get a raised eyebrow, nowadays. Sure, there are days when I fall below my expectations of how I react to situations, but, overall, I am pleased.

3 comments:

John Austin Reynolds said...

Those incidents remind us all of how precious life is. Thanks for sharing Larry and good luck in the Tetons!

Anonymous said...

great blog larry! see you at the 'ghee! thanks for only running the 50.(ha! ha!)
michael e.

Anonymous said...

Good Writing! I also have an original of that article.