Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Enjoying the moments

I hit the trail this past Sunday morning, just after sunrise, with my son. He was eager to go run and hike. The morning air was nice, cool and, while 69 degrees isn't considered cool for mornings in a lot of places, it certainly is for central Texas in early September. We walked to the trail and I let him lead the way. He was chewing gum and I asked him if he thought he could run with it in his mouth and he said "sure". I just smiled. He took off down the trail with me in tow. He was making all types of sounds on the more technical sections: "Weeeeee!", "Woohoo!", "Alright!", "Yeehaw!". It was play for him just as it should be for a kid his age. Heck! It should be for an adult, too! Maybe, that's why so many of us enjoy running on trails so much. Eventually, he came to a point where he said he was tired. So, we turned around and returned a slightly different way. We stopped at a high bluff where there is a creek at the bottom. He threw a few rocks trying to see if they would land in the creek far below. We made the final, steep climb to more runnable terrain. The, once, tired lad took off for the final 1/3 mile in a sprint. He kept stopping when he got completely out of sight to ensure I was still behind him. Afterwards, we enjoyed a big home cooked breakfast of pancakes, eggs, toast, sausage, and big glasses of orange juice!

2 comments:

Olga said...

Me, me, take me for a run next time, please! Like this weekend? :)
It is really awesome Harrison enjoys not only trails and running, but even better doing it with his dad.

Lisa Smith-Batchen said...

annabella said...hey harrison likes sharkies to:)
I read your blog to her and told her about the yummy meal you cooked and she said...mommy let's have that on Sat.!!!
Lisa