Monday, October 27, 2008

I love this weather!!!

This is how it's supposed to be! Cool with a slight North breeze with the smell of the occasional fireplace burning while I run down the street at night. I ran without carrying any fluids, which I haven't done for at least 2 years, while on my 5 mile jaunt down the quiet neighborhood streets of Austin. I covered the distance in just under 40 minutes with an average pace of 7:55 and a heart rate average of 139bpm. That felt good! I've began focusing on running at low heart rates last Wednesday and have continued doing so through my 3 hour Saturday trail run and 2.5 hour Sunday trail run. Saturday seemed slow and difficult. I was getting leg fatigue in muscles where there is normally no soreness. Sunday was a much better result, however. I'm hitting the gym several times a week and doing base building with weights and I've added yoga to my routine. The interesting thing about yoga is I was scared to go to the class, initially. Olga had to keep encouraging me to go. After several minutes into my first solo foray into yoga I was hooked! I plan to keep up with my low heart rate training and rebuild my aerobic base for the indefinite future. It's nice to not feel beat up after a run.

2 comments:

Rick Gaston said...

Sounds like the rest is working. I have friends here who do that as well, the heart restriction thing, it was prescribed by their coach. I did Yoga for 4 months 5 years ago. It absolutely kicks my butt. I'm convinced it's one of the best activities for cross-training. I liked how you got more flexible and stronger without bulking up. You get stronger from the inside out. I don't do it anymore because frankly I am still scared of it. I'm man enough to admit it!

I just plunked down some money for some training sessions with a trainer at my gym. A runner herself, she's going to help me learn some new routines that will help build speed and wean me off the machines that I've become so dependent on. Looks like you and I will be spending lots of time in the gym this off-season.

Olga said...

What Rick is trying to say is that he is trying to hook up with a hot chick at his gym:) Oh, ok, get workouts in too.