I got up this morning at 5am and went for a 9 mile road run with a few hills thrown in for good measure. Yesterday morning, I didn't wear a shirt on my morning run and it was lightly raining. This morning, it was in the low 30's with frost and I was wearing lightweight gloves and a Smartwool quarter-zip long-sleeved shirt. What a difference a day makes!!! The air was was crisp and clear with a sliver of a crescent moon. The air was so clear you could easily make out the dark side of the moon against the horizon--it was that distinct. Eventually, a dark ribbon of reddish-orange sky laced the horizon and the morning couldn't have been more sweet. While running up one of the hills, I noticed a penny on the ground. I stopped, double-backed, and picked it up. Yes, I pick up pennies! :) I finished the run with a big smile on my face.
This Thursday is absolutely my favorite holiday of the year. Although, I grew up in a small family, my extended family (aunts, uncles, cousins) is rather large. I have many fond memories of Thanksgiving and spending time with my family. It has always held a special place in my heart. Plus, the weather is my favorite this time of the year and always has been. I always try to be thankful for everything and everyone in my life this time of year. Although, my life hasn't been easy at times, I have made the best of it even when I didn't have the desire. There are people in this world who have made their life rich, regardless of what they did, or did not, have. Attitude is everything. And, the only person I want to be is me because I have the firsthand experience of knowing what has occurred in my life. And, I am the only one who is best equipped to live my life. No one else can do it better but it can be helpful to look for examples set by others. Although I won't go into any detail, I have been in awe while witnessing Olga's ability to manage through any situation. Anyone who knows her can attest to her ability of making the best of any situation. She has been a guidepost in my life. I give thanks daily that she is a part of my life. And, I know many others do the same.
This Thanksgiving will be special, since Olga and her younger son will be visiting. Here's to hoping everyone has a safe Thanksgiving weekend. Safe travels and enjoy the time spent with friends, family, and neighbors.
6 comments:
Hi Larry,
Just hopping it to see your post.
I know Olga from GT 100 and mutual friends.
Everyone does! : )
Lovely sentiments and so very true for me as well.
All of us have so much to be thankful for.
Have a lovely feast.
Life sucks if we don't try and find positive in it every moment. At the end things turn out for the good - or I am living in a fairy tail world. And when the process gets tough - turn to friends. face the "music" and DO something, don't just sit and wait! Water doesn't flow under the rock? Another folk wisdom:)
Does Olga know you run around shirtless for all the girls to oggle?
Thanksgiving is my favorite holiday as well. Just about good food, friends and family. No crazy days of hype and consumerism. No one gets trampled on Thanksgiving day at any of the stores. Unfortunately that all starts after Thanksgiving.
Olga is a survivor period. I'm glad she'll be over for Thanksgiving, maybe I give you guys a call. It's hard to remember such details when watching football and drinking good local IPA. Keep Olga out of the sugar jar. Yes tell her I said that! I always find candy wrappers wherever she goes:)
Give her hell for me. I'm thankful that you are in her life because you made her happy and a happy Olga leaves sweet messages on my comment box.
Man, I get hell for being happy and leaving nice comments?? Rickie-boy, just beware, no more goodie girl for you! And I eat all the chocolate I want on vacation!!!
All the best to you, your family and give my best to Olga. Your blog gives me inspiration.
8)
Holy crap! I've posted on some of your more "open" postings on life and challenges and some regrets.
I only just now made the connection that Olga's moving to Texas for someone, and it's you!
Well wishes and the best thoughts to both of you. I'm very happy for you.
Take care,
Tim
Post a Comment