Things happen everyday in life that take us completely off track, or, at least that can happen to me on occassion. Today was one of those days. Thankfully, I individuals in my life that helped right my listing ship when it seemed on the verge of totally capsizing. I have much to be thankful for in life.
I had a wonderful time in Bandera last weekend. And, although I took a little longer to finish the run than I wanted, getting to run with a few friends on the trail, instead, made the extra time well worth it. Around mile 21 miles into the run, I ran some quick calculations in my head and realized I needed to run a faster pace if I wanted to catch up with Olga, who was running the 100k. So, that's what I did. I ran around LT pace for about 5 or 6 miles running up all the hills along the way until I caught up to my friend Naresh. He told me that Olga was about 5 minutes ahead of him. Hmm... I wasn't certain if I was going to catch her afterall since we were on a climb and she's a billy goat. So, I ran with Naresh for awhile before finally making a decision to try and catch up to Olga. I said my farewells and began the hunt. Thankfully, I saw Olga come into sight in the distance, but it was on the beginning of a long climb. Crap! I yelled some Russian at her so she knew I was behind her, but she didn't slow down. I swear she picked up the pace! I finally caught her right after the climb and we spent a mile, or so, together on the trail. Not much time, but it was great. Plus, it was how I spent the majority of my day, talking and hanging out with others and enjoying what turned out to be a perfect day for running.
I began in earnest this week training for Massanutten. I am very happy I didn't push myself at Bandera. It has enabled me to jump immediately into the next 18 weeks of training without the need recover from the 50k. I spent some time creating my training plan with the help of Olga. It's great to see the whole plan laid out before me. Basically, 9 workouts a week, even with a rest day thrown in there.
But, back to the deep breaths... It is just running after all and while I plan to give 100% this Spring, I've got a lot of life to live, too!
2 comments:
Great to hear to had a good time down at Bandera. It was quite a special day. It was my first 100k.
Good luck with your training for Massanutten. I look forward to following your journey...and what a journey it will be. :)
Happy Training!
Of course I speeded up, what did you think? I was trying to get away! Or impress. Or something to this matter.
Life goes off track only for those who invision the tracks. If you believe in "trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view" - all's good and a part of growing process. Just inhal and exhale deeply.
Post a Comment