Tuesday, August 24, 2010

One Less Race to Think About

Well, after my Saturday escapades of running on a treadmill for two hours in the gym, followed by a stupidly hot mid-afternoon 1.5 hour trail run that turned into a sufferfest, I can now say with confidence that I will not ever run Badwater. Got back to the house  from my trail run around 3:30pm on Saturday and was down ten pounds. I was cooked!

Followed up the next morning at oh-dark'thirty with two separate encounters with rattlesnakes on the trail within about 5 minutes of each other. And, neither one of the bastards had the decency to rattle. Screw that! If the planets align this week, I'll end this Sunday with the most training miles (sans race miles) logged in a one week period, ever. It got up to 106 degrees today. Sure am glad I get to run on the treadmill tonight, inside. Yesterday's 10 mile trail run started when it was still 105 heat index  was at 7pm sure and it sure did suck, but, at least, the two big snakes I saw weren't poisonous.

At least, I'll be ready for the heat and snakes if that happens at Bear. Surely, there will be a blizzard or it will be unbelievably cold.  But, at this point in a Texas Summer, that would be welcome relief and I do prefer it cold versus hot.

1 comment:

zbsports said...

Great, I was entertained by the post. I learn more things on it. Thanks!!!