Monday, September 27, 2010

Best Laid Plans...

The best laid plans often go awry, to loosely paraphrase the quote.  As I lay in bed on a Sunday night, my mind wonders aimlessly recounting, in complete randomness, each mile of a race I did not finish.  The Bear was supposed to be the exclamation point for the year with a predetermined reward, including no running, of rest for the entire month of October.  Instead, the goal of crossing the finish line was not met.  It is a bitter pill to swallow after experiencing the absolute best training cycle for a race.  And, do I forego the October reward?

When I reached the mile 85 aid station at precisely 6am on a Saturday morning and 24 hours after the race start, I had made the decision during the previous few miles to end my race. I could no longer run--not on a flat and, definitely, not on a downhill.  My quadriceps would not allow it. And, it was my first time I had experienced what it is like to have "shot quads".  My only strength, which I have always considered my weakness, was the ability to climb.  I had purposefully chosen to walk almost every climb, which had never been a "choice" in the past.  But that doesn't really matter. Every descent on the race course was taken conservatively to ensure my legs would have the strength to finish the race strong, even if it meant getting passed on a downhill early in the race, which happened. Even the best laid plans go awry...

The overriding thought between mile 76 and 85 was that I would not accept the conclusion to walk the last 15 miles of the race.  As I approached closer to the mile 85 aid station, that thought became stronger than ever with a continuous reminder during the downhill sections that anything more than a conservative walking descent was not realistic.  A frustrating, but somber, fact, considering how careful I was in self preservation during all the previous descents.

I knew there would be people back home watching the live updates, but that didn't motivate me to finish the last 15 miles.  Less than a year ago, however, it would have mattered greatly to me and would have been a motivator to finish in order to avoid all the "what happened?", "are you ok?", "I'm sorry you didn't finish" questions and comments. Even at the mile 85 aid station, the main theme by those present, as I stood next to the fire ring, was that I only had "...15 miles to go.", "you've come so far", "you can't quit now", "you have plenty of time". All of those statements were legitimate, but did not provide a convincing reason to continue.

We all have our reasons for running 100 milers. For some, it is to just finish, be able to wear the race shirt proudly in public, receive the buckle, have bragging rights, finish because someone told them they couldn't, finish out of respect for the sacrifces made by the family during a heavy training cycle.  And, I have used all of those reasons to finish many races.  But, I have come to a point where those things no longer motivate me.  It's evolved over time and become much more personal and on my own terms.  I didn't train my ass off to go run Bear and walk the last 15 miles and, maybe, that is a selfish reason, but it is my reason, nonetheless.  The most prevalent thought was trying to get to a location after I quit, so I could let Olga know I was "ok", but 4 hours would elapse before I could get a cell phone signal.  I was afraid of her negatively judging my decision, but that wouldn't be the case, and I knew that deep down inside based on previous experience.  She has always said that I have to make the decision to stop and no one else can do that for me. That takes a certain level of courage, because trying to get someone else make that type of decision for you, while seemingly the easier path, avoids taking personal responsibility.  And that wouldn't be fair to her and would be dishonest with myself.

I met a lot great people before, during, and after the race. Some old friends and acquaintences and a lot of new ones.  That is something which draws me towards these races.  You get to experience the best of individuals, whether it's other runners, crew, pacers, or volunteers.  Hanging out at the finish line for 8+ hours watching so many runners finish was a great experience, especially when it was someone I had shared time with on the course or personally knew.  In the past, I would have experienced a lot of jealousy, but that feeling didn't occur.  Yes, it was difficult, at times, to watch people finish because it was a reminder I didn't choose to complete those remaining 15 miles.  Each time I would congratulate someone on their finish, I felt bad when they asked me about my finish time because they would, inevitably, say "I'm sorry" when I told them I didn't finish. But, there was nothing to be sorry about. Things happen and I learned a great deal from the experience that probably would have been dismissed had I had finished.

I'm not certain what my plans will be for the next several months, since I had not considered an alternative plan if I DNF'd at Bear.  I have gotten to the point where I need to assess my motivation for running ultra distances and ensure I'm doing it for the right personal reasons. This sport can lead to many selfish choices, at times, and I would like to find a good balance in this stage of my life and minimize being selfish whenever possible.  Whether we want to admit it, or not, running 100 milers is not normal and amazingly hard on the body. It doesn't necessarily mean I won't continue to run them, but the admission is meant to raise the awareness that it is healthy to take an honest look at ourselves, on occassion, and assess our motivation to put our bodies and minds through the rigor necessary to complete the distance.

9 comments:

johntsharp said...

No worries man. If these things were easy, you'd have 25K people signing up for them like a half-marathon. As you well know, there is no greater athletic challenge than a 100 mile race. Keep smilin, and keep forging your own path. When you say running a 100 miles is not "normal" while that may be true, would you be satisfied with being "normal" or "typical"? You are the ultimate judge and master of your life.
But, we do need to go for a run one of these days!

MW said...

Thanks for the writeup of your race, your decision to stop, and sharing your thoughts.
Many of us have much less experience in ultra running, and these types of write-ups are much more valuable than a mile by mile account of a run. (at least to me)... So thanks for opening up to us.
Leading up to bandera 100k last year, I was primed and ready and had the best training months ever. But for some reason at the half way point I lost interest. By mile 36 at nachos, I quit. I still don't quite know why I lost the drive to finish, which I easily could have, but it just wasn't working for me in my head. (it wasn't even demons) Maybe sometimes our bodies tell us in different ways that we will learn more by not finishing, and that today, this is what we need to do. I don't know, but that's what I choose to believe.
You'll find your way back onto the trails when youre ready. October...hmmm... the weather is mighty pleasant for a fun run without a watch to just stretch the legs and enjoy. Then again, November will be here before we know it.
; )

Anonymous said...

Awesome effort and well-written, candid report! The most enjoyable and meaningful reports, in my opinion, are those that are introspective with no bullshit! Hope to run with you soon, buddy!

RunSueRun said...

Larry,

It was fun to share a few miles with you at the Bear last weekend. Totally understand why you stopped, and you're right--nothing to be sorry about & running 100 milers is definitely not "normal" (hah!). You guys should make the drive over to Cajun Coyote in December! :)

Best,
Sue

meredith said...

Pete told me you had a great write-up when we were running this morning, so here I am :) Your heart will lead you to your next challenge, and you will shine!

Paul would love to have you back to the 3hrs or bust group in Feb!!

chris mcpeake said...

Great write up. No shame in having to stop. Every 100 miler is a different experience that can unfold in the most unexpected way. Love the blog .. and no 100 miles is not normal or so I am told

JeffO said...

Good post. Definitely, we all own our own race, and can do what we want with it. We have different reasons for running and racing. Oddly, as we become older and less insecure, we care less about finishing. For me, that has been replaced by a desire to show my kids that trying really hard can achieve the impossible. But as kids get older, that message means less, as they've already seen how insane dad is.
Life should remain an endeavor to health in mind, body, and spirit, and you no doubt have your priorities straight with that.
I will see you out there, Larry!

brownie said...

All these reasons aside, I wish I woulda ran into you at mile 85, maybe a few F-bombs would have pissed you off enough to finish. That being said, if your quads were shot, you would not have enjoyed the final descent to the lake.

Good to see you out there though!

marmot said...

So good to hear that...Nice run..I'm loving your thoughts....