Saturday, April 16, 2011

Jekyl & Hyde on the trail

Ran a hard effort 50k today, at least it was hard for me and my 184 lb body.  I did a lot of pissing and moaning during the run.  Asked a few women, jokingly, for piggy back rides.  Mentioned to some runners how much it hurt. Didn't have the energy when I passed runners to say "good job".  I kept my head down for the majority of the run so I could focus on getting a good run finished. Yelled at two guys in a boat fishing if they'd like to trade spots--they said "no!"--that was around mile 27.  Fishing definitely looking like a lot more fun that what I was doing. Thought about it much more than I should have about how it sucked, meaning it was definitely uncomfortable physically.  The soft, sandy conditions didn't help, unlike the same trails in February during my 50 miler which were in the best and fastest shape ever.

Nevertheless, my 25k splits (2 loop course) were exactly 10 minutes apart and that right there made me extremely satisfied with the effort. I have never ran that evenly in an 50k and I ran the entire distance without walk breaks, which was a first. As much as I wanted to let up, at times, and hoping someone would pass me and let the wind out of my sails, there was another side of me that kept pushing when I didn't want to push all the way to the end.  Olga was afraid I would not be happy with the time when I crossed the timing mat, but I didn't have a specific time goal.  All I knew were the generic paces that I'd have to run (8:00, 8:30, 9:00, 9:30) with the corresponsding finish times and I'd let the chips fall where they may based on how the day unfolded.  Last night I was pretty nervous about the race, but Olga provided me very wise words, "run your own race", and that's exactly what I did--4h17m.  Not my best time, but my most consistent trail 50k performance ever and minimal to no gimping, afterwards. And, yes!, I'm happy!

2 comments:

JeffO said...

4:17! You rock! I'd LOVE to have a 50k time that fast.
Way to keep pushing.

Olga said...

Ha! Got your pictures uploaded!
Very proud of you, how different your racing has become. Pushing more, yet smiling more too!