I had written a follow-up post to the one I posted a few days ago, after coming up empty-handed in the Western States lottery for the fourth time in a row. But, I’ve decided not to post it. Instead, it’s best to let things be and move on for good.
I’ve taken a significant amount of time off from running since my DNF at Ozark. Yesterday, was my third “run” in the last 5 weeks. I use the word “run” loosely, because each one has been physically humbling. And, while I’ve enjoyed sleeping in late and not having to wake up at ridiculous hours on the weekends, it’ time to begin moving consistently, again. This time will be different, though, by beginning at “square one”—seriously, at the beginning. Miles will be added slowly, the body will hopefully change composition, and progress will be made in due time.
Next year will be an exciting time! Any planned races are low-key events in new locales on the type of terrain I prefer—mountain areas. Essentially, there is a strong desire to reach out beyond the horizon and experience different scenery instead of visiting the same places over and over, again—this includes Texas races, too. The culmination by the middle of the year will entail an epic adventure which is difficult to get my mind fully wrapped around. But, these types of experiences are what Olga and I aspire towards in the upcoming years. Vague in detail, I know, but purposefully so. Maybe, it’s part of a mid-life crisis setting in, but I’d like to think of it as something more positive. I’m not getting any younger, that is certain. Each year is passing at an ever increasing rate, sometimes alarmingly fast and I’m realizing just how precious our time is on this tiny blue planet. Instead of thinking and dreaming about “some day…”, we are choosing to begin making those dreams a reality now. Running will not always be centered around the next race, but rather the next adventure. The key is to just “keep moving”, which are wise words we heard from an older (80’ish) gentleman from Denmark one beautiful day up on Mt. Tallac.
“Life’s battles don’t always go to the stronger or faster man. Sooner or later the man who wins is the man who thinks he can.” -Vince Lombardi
3 comments:
Larry...you have a good attitude. I think I missed my window to enter Western States a few years ago. I'm over it now. I have gotten into doing other distances that I actually think I am better at, and I would rather spend all that money going somewhere with my family and chasing my little boy down a trail.
Who needs all that hype anyways? You'll have a blast doing low-key races.
The rat-race has take control of many ultra races. I run to escape the rat-race, so no lottos for me. Still, sorry you didn't make it into WS.
I hope your adventures pan out more reliably.
That quote really speaks to me. Such great attitude you have!
Post a Comment