Saturday, January 21, 2012

S L O W . . .

Did my first 60 minute continuous run today on the roads--flat roads. That's the farthest I have continuously ran since the 82 miles at the beginning of November. Thus far in 2012, there have been only 4 days where I haven't either cross-trained or ran and that's success in my mind.  The mileage has been added excruciately slow, but probably in the right amount.  And, when I finish each run, it seems like a huge victory!  I am officially off the "injured" training plan and on a normal plan, but it not like I'm going to go out and pop a 30/15 next Saturday and Sunday.  Those miles are still probably a long way off and that's ok since the 60 minutes today had me looking at the watch after 45 minutes wondering when it would be over. Regardless, everything seems to be holding up and I need to keep it that way.

It's amazing how much I really need running or just the associated methodic movement.  It's the best thing for the mind and keeps me sane.  I think it has more to do with being outside in nature and the more grandiose the scenery, the better. But, that's difficult to get in Austin, so one has to just take what they can get.  Tomorrow, the trail awaits and I am excited about it since it's been awhile.  Although the run will be very short compared to a typical weekend run, it will be a good test to see how the lateral movement affects my leg.

I'll leave you with a vid from one of the songs on my, ...gulp..., newly purchased iPod (hey! the road is extremely boring so a person has to entertain themselves somehow...). I went to school with the drummer in this band and he has worked his butt off to get where he is today. Overall, good guy.

1 comment:

Olga said...

I haven't realized you only missed 4 days in 3 weeks. That is a success for sure. Keep it rolling though!