This Fall, I’ll forego that important long trail run on a
Saturday and, instead, take my son on our annual day road trip to the
beach. As the years pass by, I’ll
remember that time at the beach and will soon forget that long trail run. Our children grow up incredibly fast. In what will seem like a week, he’ll be out
on his own and forging his own path in life and experiencing that same delicate
balance of time, which, at his age, will seem cheap. I, always, worry if what I’m doing is enough
and do my best to cautiously choose my words and actions with him. Many times, it’s what we don’t say and the
actions they witness which imbed into an individual’s memory. That is how I remember learning the way of
life as a child. Thankfully, I had many
good mentors to help me along: my Grandfather, Grandmother, Uncles, Aunts, and,
of course, my Mom. I feel blessed now,
although, at the time, with the lack of a father in my life, I felt rather
sorry for myself.
The most important thing in my life, though, is my wife. She’s perfect for me. We occasionally argue, have disagreements, but always, in the end, make amends and appreciate our stubbornness is an action to be understood as individuals—it’s that simple. Like many individuals, she quietly sacrificed her own dreams and goals to the benefit of others. It’s important for me to ensure she is happy. And, although, each individual is responsible for their own happiness, I strive to do what I can to remove barriers so she can thrive. In a way, I work to remove the clouds from the sky so the sunlight can shine down upon her and reveal the vastness of opportunities available to forge a fulfilling life.
On the running front, training has gone quite well this
year, namely this Summer. I have an
end-goal in early November and all the pieces of the puzzle are slowly falling
into place. I surprise myself on almost
every run. Earlier this Summer, another
iPod died a slow, wet death, thanks to the Texas humidity and I’ve been running
for almost two months without music blasting in my ears—it’s been quite nice. I’ve become very self-aware of my body’s
rhythms of breathing and cadence while I run and it’s very meditative. And, now, there’s an unopened iPod Olga
purchased for me that sits on my desk at home which I have no desire to open.
That’s an uncommon response. When I
become focused on a goal that’s personally important, I have the ability to
become extremely focused. It’s rare with
my running, but this, in a way, is the end-game. This will be my last 100 miler and, for a
change, I am giving an honest training effort—no self-sabotaging the required
workouts so I’ll have a quiet excuse post-race why I didn’t do as well as
expected. I must cross the finish line
knowing I gave myself every opportunity to do as well as possible leading up to
the race, even if the finish time isn’t what I may prefer. And, this is all tied back to the first
sentence in this post—“Time is cheap.”.
It’s time to appreciate the value of each day, week, month, and
year. And, I am beginning to believe
this is what has driven my solid training this year. The realization there are other experiences
I’d like to focus on in life besides just training for a race.
| July 2013 |
I may be identified by many who believe I am a runner, but
that is not who I, truly, am. It’s just
a minor part of myself. There are so
many experiences in life and it’s necessary to make room for those endeavors by
letting go of some of the past. I’ll
still run, train, and participate in races, but let’s get realistic. As we age, the body doesn’t recover as
quickly as we’d like. We become more
confident in ourselves as we discover what is important in our lives. At this point, devoting time and energy to
100 mile events is overburdening. A nice
long hike in the mountains with my wife is much more appealing and will continue
to occur more often as time passes. In
the end, it’s the people in our lives that matter most, not the call to chase
fleeting dreams of satisfying an ego in order to be identified as an ultra
runner. The only goal, short-term and
long-term, is to get to the mountains as often as possible. That is where I find my peace, where my soul
thrives, and my heart soars.
3 comments:
I can totally relate to the chasing of fleeting dreams to satisfy the ego. For me it's not just ultrarunning, but rock climbing endeavors as well. Now that I'm married I'm perfectly content to get in a slow 25 miler and the occasional multi pitch climb and spend the rest of the time hiking the mountains with my wife, and soon my kids! Great post! Crazy we both posted similar things today.
You made me cry. Thank you. I will take this paragraph with me and have it carry me through the difficult parts of life.
Larry....what a great post and a fantastic outlook on life. Keep that attitude and all around you will be good. Olga is a lucky woman and you a lucky man :-)
Post a Comment