And, before this past weekend, I had a few talks with Olga
about how this race may very well be my last ultra-distance event, although,
barely, at 50k. It wasn’t a race I
trained for specifically, but, rather to be a methodical stepping stone as I
worked my way up to a goal race in late April.
But, I recently decided against the April race simply because I would
rather do something more personally meaningful—enjoying a long weekend with my
wife on a non-running related vacation.
You see, when I first began running ultras, it seemed like a cool thing
to do and was fun to watch the expressions on peoples’ faces when they realized
just how many miles were involved. And,
I enjoyed that attention for many years.
But, during the last few years, I try to avoid those conversations. Even this weekend during the race, I caught
up to one of the lead 25k runners in the middle of my first loop and had a
brief chat. He asked what distance I was
running and I told him—“50k”. His
response was, “have you run that distance before?”. I paused and quietly responded with
hesitance, “yeah.”. And, then, I
continued on my way. A few years ago, I
would have divulged all kinds of data and enumerated every distance category
I’ve completed. But, now, it doesn’t
seem necessary or important.
When I crossed the finish line on Saturday, I had given my
best and that’s what I told Olga—“that’s all I had…”. Those moments when I just wanted to walk or
slow down, I kept telling myself “you have to give an honest effort because
this just might be your last ultra”. I
was more interested in talking to my son and having him tell me how well his
first trail 10k had gone, talking to John Sharp and him sharing the colorful
details of his race, and giving my wife a kiss.
That’s what was important. And,
this is exactly where I want to be right now.
I don’t want to wake up at 5am on almost every weekend to run 20 to 30 miles. I’d rather be in my yard on my hands and knees in the flower beds pulling weeds for a few hours, which is exactly what I did on Sunday morning. And, as strange as it sounds, it was meditative, similar to how running can be at times. I will still run and enjoy the training process and ensuing race, but, most likely, just a lot smaller dose of the running part. Otherwise, I wouldn’t get to enjoy those quiet mornings listening to the birds sing while I’m pulling weeds.
No comments:
Post a Comment