Ok. Maybe it's just me revolting. But, I have a reason to revolt. It's the heat. I'm just whining, but my body is not doing very well with going from freezing temperatures and snow at Jemez to 95+ degrees in Austin, then back to the 30's to 50's in the early morning in Portland and another 7+ miles of solid snow running, and now back to the 95+ degree weather, again, in Austin. All in the span of just 17 days. My body behaves perfectly in the cooler temperatures, but the heat is another matter, altogether.
Today, Wednesday, is a weekly evening run that I do with a local training group. We were running about a six mile loop. It was 96 degrees at the start and got up to 99 degrees during the run. I had big plans to do two loops, while everyone else was running the requested one loop. I warmed up for about 10 minutes behind most everyone and then slightly picked up the pace and began passing on the uphills. I made it around the last person and just kept going. Yes, it was hot, but the only way I'm going to acclimate is to run in the heat. I quickly found myself all alone with nothing but my thoughts. I was happy to be running. The hills I would normally consider walking up during this heat, I ran instead. I had discovered a good rythym last weekend during my running adventures in Oregon and applied it to my home turf. The trail has some good climbs and I just kept running while the sun and heat cooked me. My perspective was completely screwed up from running last weekend. Everything now looked runnable, mostly flat, with just a few "bumps" that were still runnable. It was a strange feeling. But one I was pleased with, considering how much the heat was affecting me. I was intending on running my LT pace, and came close, but the thing that held me back was my stomach. It failed me after about one mile into the run. I've never had that issue before and I attributed it to the heat. I was on top of my nutrition for the entire run, but anything above 85% of my HRmax made me want to puke. So, I ran just below that level, except when I encountered a few big climbs and I would hit 95%. I knew that my gut wouldn't tolerate another loop. I finished the run strong running up the last hill and felt relieved, as well as, satisfied that I had completed the run.
One unique thing about the run was that I ran without my iPod. That decision was based on a conversation Olga and I had last Friday near the end of our Gorge/Larch run. The reason I began running trails a few years ago was to experience nature. To hear all the sounds and soak in all that was around me. Running with music had disassociated me from the trail and myself while I was running. I needed to get back to the genesis of why I began running the trails. I didn't miss the music one bit, today. I still had my thoughts with me and that is all I needed during the run. Will I run with my iPod again? Sure. But, I won't use it as the crutch that it had become during the past year.
There is so much more to write and express, but I must refrain for now. My bed and pillow are calling me strongly...
1 comment:
OK, you made me laugh a lot...even if I am not supposed to put it here.
You are offically allowed to use iPod on roads and in races between points of 20% and 60% in (depends on the distance) - first 20% you chat with people around you, after 60% you focus on moving well. Well, may be last strecth you can kick in too:)
It's 50F here, and it doesn't even rain! I almost hit your time this morning on 6M...almost!
Post a Comment