Around mile 7 this morning, while running my first half-marathon, all I could keep thinking was "since when in the hell does East Austin have hills!?!". Not that I don't mind running up hills, but it's difficult to get into a good rhythm on the road when you're trying to keep an even pace. Of course, around mile 11, after the last long climb, the flats quickly became really boring and I couldn't wait for the end to be near. The reputation of this race is well known in Austin, and now I understand why. I signed up for the run, yesterday afternoon, thinking it would be a good way to force myself into a hard run and determine my fitness level. This was my second hard run, since October 20
th. The first hard run was a 9 miler this past Thursday. I've been taking it kind of easy for awhile, so to speak. Regardless, running road races is so different than trail races. But, I do see benefit in integrating them into my training. Especially, since I will be running my first road marathon in a few months. ;-) Time today was 1:33.48; I ran the second half of the race slightly negative, which I'm more pleased about than the finish time.

Thanksgiving weekend was a total blast, with Olga and her son visiting for the entire weekend. It was great getting to cook for them and spend time together. I had moments of terror on a few of the roller coasters, especially on the ride called "
Scream". Olga and Stephen said I screamed a few times, but I deny all accounts of their recollection. I was quiet as a mouse during the entire ride. Honest!
I begin, in earnest, training for the marathon on Monday. I am very eager to begin
ramping back up my training. It should be a lot of fun.
Things are fairly quiet on all other fronts. Life is awesome and I can't express enough how fortunate I am. I am very thankful for my life and those with whom I share it. In the words of George Bernard Shaw,
"Life isn't about finding yourself, Life is about creating yourself.".
1 comment:
In this case, I didn't scream either! :)
I am glad you had an experience of a road half-marathon, and that you beat my best time to boot! Not that I had any doubts on that, but always happy to provide an extra push:)
Post a Comment