Sunday, February 15, 2009

Respect the Distance!

Mile 19.5 (photo courtesy of Stephanie Huie)

Well, I ran my first official road marathon today. And, it was a great experience. The last few days leading up to the race, I was thinking about all the training I had done to prepare for the race. A few months ago, I began being coached by Paul DeWitt. It has been an eye opening experience on many levels learning what "easy" and "hard" are all about. I have never run so many road miles in my short foray into running. It came to a point where I was in complete fear of getting injured when I was running my peak mileage weeks. Thankfully, the taper came just in time and the aches and pains, for the most part, slowly disappeared during the last few weeks. In addition, Olga has provided me valuable insight during my training. While most people think of her as a trail runner, she began back in 2001 on the roads and chalked up 16 road marathons before converting completely to the trails.

Packet pick-up was not what I expected, yesterday. In my ignorance, I thought I'd just go to pick-up location, grab my bib and t-shirt, meet the pacers, and leave. I was overwhelmed when we entered the Expo building and it was people and booths wall-to-wall. And, then there was the queue for packet pick-up. I felt like I was checking in for a flight at the airport. Let's just say it wasn't like packet pick-up at a trail race. :-)

Olga, again, fed me an incredible meal last night. I laid all of my stuff out so on race morning I wouldn't have to do a lot of thinking about what to do before heading out the door. Afterwards, it was off to bed at 9pm. I woke up around 3am and didn't sleep much, afterwards, before my 5am alarm. I was very nervous this morning for many reasons. Would I be able to meet my goals that I had set. I had several time goals for many different reasons. Mostly, because this was my first marathon and I wanted to have many realistic time goals in case things didn't go as planned. I would have been satisfied with breaking 3:30 and that was the first goal. Then, I decided to put a 3:20 goal out there because that would qualify me for Boston. Funny thing is I didn't know what my qualifying time needed to be until I looked it up a few days ago. If I made this goals I would walk away happy. Not that I have a desire to run Boston, but because it seems to be a milestone time for my age. My next time goal was 3:10. If I could make this time, I would be ecstatic. Coincidentally, it was the time goal Olga believed I could make. She didn't tell me that until yesterday. Lastly, I had this big hairy ass goal (BHAG) to break 3 hours and that is the time I had been focusing on during my training. Regardless, I knew it was a long shot, but it was a goal nonetheless. And, it was the goal I publicly admitted, which, in hindsight, I wish I didn't. By doing that, I put so much pressure on myself. I was humbled, however, by the support I received by many people thinking I could do it.

I won't write a lot about the actual race, because it was fairly non eventful. Olga and I arrived early and found a perfect parking spot not too far from the finish line. I was very nervous and admittedly so. We walked down towards the start line and heard the announcer say there were around 13,000 people registered for the half and full marathon combined. Wow! We wandered around looking for people we knew and found Team Asha, who are an awesome group of people. We, eventually saw Paul Terranova, who was the designated 3:00 pacer and JT, who is a former Austinite and, now, Coloradan and CRUDer.

I completed my warm-up routine and, eventually, made my way back to the 3:00 group, where I would start. Yes, I was going for my BHAG. I said a prayer before the start. I was doing my run for my son and, also, for those who can't but want to, whether it is because of an injury or a physical disability. It brought me to tears as I finished up my prayer. After a fifteen minute delay in starting we were off and the early miles passed by uneventfully. It was great having all the spectators yell and scream for us as we ran by. Past mile 6, Olga and Moogy met me to switch bottles. Yes, I'm a trail runner and carried a handheld. I would see them, again, at mile 12 and 22, before the finish. Around mile 13, I began feeling the effects of the early miles and hills. My feet, were getting thrashed, as well, which surprised me. But, I wore the wrong socks (too thick) and that was a rookie mistake. Lesson learned. I saw many friends along the course and even saw a few from the office, which was a big surprise. During those final 6 miles, I really had to focus. I knew 3 hours was gone and I was perfectly accepting of that, but I thought I had a really good chance at 3:10, so I kept pushing. JT, eventually passed me past mile 21 and would finish strong. It was around this time I really had to dig deep. I told myself to keep pushing and finish strong. Additionally, I came up with the idea to get a copy of my marathon certificate after the race, get it framed with a picture of me, too, and give it to my son as a reminder to never give up and do your best. That kept me going. Eventually, I rounded the last turn onto the home stretch and saw the finish line. I was very happy and relieved to see the finish and the enormous number of spectators cheering. It was a great feeling. I crossed the finish line in 3:06 and I couldn't be happier.

9 comments:

Olga said...

Do I predict times great deal, or what? In case you didn't know it yet:) I am glad you broke it, I had full confidence in you. I may not be a type of a hype, singing proverbial songs, but when I tell you realisticly what you are capable of - it means you are on and have nothing to worry about. Now, if you ever want that sub-3, you can do it in a month on another course. Oh, forget the hassle and go play on rocks! After all, you have ZG50 and HR50 - one to beat me, and one to pull me!
Very, very proud of how you dug deep. This is what is important. Not what others predict, or think, or encourage - what you felt, went through and how you reacted to it. Nobody but you knows it. If you are happy and satisfied - that's all that matters.

johntsharp said...

You are the freakin man, Larry!! Great Race, bro!!! I'm gonna be like you when I grow up!! You rock!

Rick Gaston said...

Olga can predict times like crazy. She can also do splits just by studying elevation charts. Tthat's friggin amazing, I can only dream of a sub 3:10 right now. One day I would like to run Boston. Congratulations.

Anonymous said...

Congrats dude!! You forgot to mention the phantastic photographic work. ;) Very very happy for you. For someone that MAY do a road marathon one day, what do you mean about your socks were too think? Which ones did you wear? I only have DryMax and SmartWool.

Anonymous said...

Awesome run, buddy! And congrats on your retirement from the Roads!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Mark said...

Awesome race Larry. I'm so pleased for you.

brownie said...

Great run, Larry. I had no idea that was your first one, you're easliy a sub-3 guy if you want it.

seagull junker said...

that's smokin' in my book larry. way to run man. great report. are you running hundred in the hood or just helping rd'ing?