It has been awhile, since I last posted on my blog. Lately, life has been very busy in every aspect. Sometimes, there seems to be too many things going on in my life and, often, there is little down time for me. Eventually, it has gotten to the point where I have had to make a few choices, which seem insignificant at first glance, but will provide a means in giving myself the precious time I need for myself. Selfish? Maybe. But, I can't maintain a breakneck life pace on a continual basis.
While I see the benefit of technology and appreciate it to a certain extent, it can become a burden for me. I have a cell phone, but I lived without one for quite some time before I succumbed. I can't imagine living without it now, but it does impair one's ability to detach from the constant barage of being "available" just in case the so-called important phone call occurs. I compare it to being in a constant "on call" work situation. How did we ever survive with just a land line? Have our lives really improved because we have the latest crack berry, texting, internet thing-a-ma-jig and being "on" 24/7? The moment someone can't get ahold of us, the first assumption is something must be wrong. We may be in danger, physically hurt, or, even dead. Those are the thoughts that surface and, I admit, I've been guilty of it, too. Hell, we even stay "on" during a so-called weekend getway or vacation. Instead of coming back refreshed, we maintained our existing state of readiness. Maybe, I'm refusing to accept the new reality in today's age of technology, but, who's reality are we talking about?
This past week, I began becoming indifferent to Facebook. Was my life really improved by knowing who was going to work, going for a run, or posting some clever statement? It's almost as if it has become the de facto standard for knowing what everyone is doing in their lives. And, to me, that is sad. There was a time when relalationships with others were based on face to face interaction. They, still are, I realize, but how much more do I need to be engaged? Yes, I know, don't log in to my account, but I'm not able to restrain myself that easily, unfortunately. Yesterday, I mentioned to Olga I was seriously considering closing my account and shared my thoughts about it. Coincidentally, she had been considering doing the same thing. And, in fact, being the doer she is, beat me to the punch. Eventually, I did the same late last night. Maybe it removes me, to a certain extent, in maintaining contact with knowing what is going on in a lot of people's lives, but I would rather discover about others in person, an occassional phone call, or an email. Even, hand-written letters are almost a thing of the past. I still cherish getting one of those in the mail more than an email. Maybe, it's the personal touch and time it takes to make the effort which appeals to me.
Maybe, I'm just a little different and I accept that in this age of technology. It, definitely, overwhelms me, at times. A house in the mountains with no cell phone coverage away from the city sounds really good right now. Actually, I did live in a house in the mountains where my cell phone had no reception. It was great. Maybe, having to drive into a small town every few days to a local cafe/coffee shop to check on my email on a computer in a dusty corner. There is a place like that in Silverton, Colorado. And, people hung out on the front porch of the place and visited. Those are the memories I cherish.
I spent an awesome morning with my son on some of the local trails I frequent. We participated in a park clean-up event in Austin. I wasn't certain he would enjoy picking up beer cans, glass bottles, gel tops, plastic bottles, dog poop bags (why not just let the poop stay on the ground if you're too damned lazy to pack out the little plastic baggie you put in in afterwards???), random clothing, etc. But, he had a great time. I tried to make it as fun as possible. Overall, it was a great hike, mixed in with some rock scrambling, for which he seems to have a natural talent.
1 comment:
I think that I may agree with you about the whole Facebook thing.
It is great that you were able to hit the trails with your son.
Hope you find some time for yourself. That can be just as important as making time for others.
Post a Comment