Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Fortune

"The best way to navigate through life is to give up all of our controls" -from a Chinese fortune cookie

As Olga and I sat on a patio at a Chinese restaurant, I began grinning and laughed. We both knew how true and specific those words were for me. One can try, as they might, to hold on tight to life and control every step, but the reality is it goes at its own pace. I'm reminded during my years as a flight instructor teaching my students to hold onto the yoke as lightly as possible with the index finger and thumb. While, at first, it seems to be an impossibility to fly an aircraft in this manner, over time, and with experience, it becomes easier. And, I relate that example to how life should be lived.

Personally, I've tried, throughout the years, to control every aspect of my life down to the minute and explicit detail. And, while there have been times when I was able to convince myself everything was sailing along smoothly, it took only one little bump in the road to derail my efforts. Dealing with adversity has been my main challenge; I attribute it, most likely, to an often tumultuous childhood. But, I believe there are many circumstances that may cause this need for total control of every situation. And, the reason I mention all of this?

My wife, Olga, has been an inspiration to live life in a more light hearted fashion and to face adversity head on and walk right through it and keep on going. Everyone has heard the term "diamond in the rough". Well, it didn't take me very long to realize that Olga was my diamond. And, it wasn't something that materialized over an extended period of time. It occurred rather quickly and was an obvious observation for me. She has been an inspiration and an extraordinary teacher of life. And, I am extremely grateful for that. And, Baby, I know you will read this post. Hopefully, one day I can thank your papa and mama in person for bringing such a wonderful human being into the world...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Olga will love this post, I'm sure! Beautifully said! As one who "suffers" from life control issues I truly appreciate your words.

Moogy said...

just 8)