Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Give me Patience

Since my running has been at an almost standstill for the last few weeks, it has allowed me to spend more time thinking about other things in my life. I have to admit, it’s been personally rough on me to have two big races looming on the near horizon and not be able to train. It has been not only an adjustment for me, but for those around me, as well. I’ve tried to make the best of it, though.

I was only able to squeeze out 8.5 miles on some great hilly terrain this past weekend. A small consolation, considering I was planning on doing a minimum of 20 miles. And, there were moments in the second half of the run, where I suddenly realized I was running sans gimp and proceeded to run the extended uphills and, then, blast downhills through the forested, rocky, leaf-covered trails, much to the chagrin of Olga who had been so patient with my horrendous, uncontrolled gimp and complaining during the first half of the run. And, yesterday evening, I turned around after about a mile on the trail and began walking back. After a few minutes, I began running again and proceeded to increase the pace. Immediately, I felt great and ran up the last hill as hard as I could and finished with the slight feeling I may just puke due to the effort. Again, no pain until I walked home afterwards. Frustrating.  Oh, the things we take for granted when we’re healthy…

5 comments:

MW said...

I don't remember reading what your injury is... what happenned?

(I'm Mike, i ran the intergalactic with you for a while... we got confused on where the trail should go)

MW said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
LK said...

Hi Mike! Good to hear from you.

According to the doc, appears to be a Sciatic nerve entrapment in the hamstring.

Olga said...

All things come to an end. This too shall pass...

DavidH said...

Larry - May your body heal as fast as it is willing. That is about all we can ask unfortunately. A body we can't completely control can be a hard realization.

I also can relate to the periods of frustration as I too am trying to get physically healthy since Rocky Raccoon.

At times one feels bomb-proof and then suddenly...similar is the journey of life.

May you/we have patience. Happy healing! :)