Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Slow but Steady

I probably had the best week of training since starting back up in mid-December.  Physical adaptations are becoming more apparent, yet subtle, and, mentally, I’m able to coax myself into finishing what I started regarding each workout.  Still, there are no miracles expected in what my finishing time will be next month and the only true goal is to finish.  As long as that happens, I’ll be pleased.  Now, that’s not to say I’m going to just cruise the whole time.  I’ll be pushing as much as I can, but, in the end, the reality is, well, umm…, reality, and it is what it is.  I had the biggest victory to date Sunday morning by getting in an 4.5 hour training run in on some trails just east of Austin.  Since, it is a loop that I have to repeat several times, it was huge to get back on the trail each time after a quick water stop, especially since it was in the upper 40’s and raining the whole time.  It had to be the worst weather I’ve ran in for a few years.  I was soaked to the bone when I finished but so incredibly happy that I stuck with it and finished, time be damned. 

Olga is trying to get me to go have the Airrosti technique done on my left leg, which has been messed up since March of last year.  For the most part, it doesn’t affect my running gait too much other than the first 10 minutes of each run while I get warmed up, but the effects during the times when I don’t run can be frustrating and that simmers in the back of my sub conscience quite a bit.  I guess, technically, I’m injured and while it really hasn’t taken a huge physical toll, the mental aspect has slowly worn me down over the past year, especially in light of the 2 DNF’s last Fall, which I feel had nothing to do with my leg.  But, mentally, it’s caused me to not want to train.  And, that’s why having such a good training week this past week was much needed.  Having Olga tell me that Airrosti was “very painful”, in her own words, doesn’t motivate me considering I’ve never heard her used those adjectives in a sentence that didn’t include the word childbirth.  But, something has to be done, especially after an attempt to get out of the car Sunday night and putting weight on my leg left me screaming in agony for a few moments and unable stand.  A few moments later, I'm back to normal--no pain, just the emotional reminder.

3 comments:

Olga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olga said...

Pain is weakness leaving the body, baby. Give Dr. Brian a call. He promised me he'd be gentle to you:)
And yes, I am proud of your rainy cold run too. But, as Chinese mother would say, should I had expected anything less?

Drs. Cynthia and David said...

It's good to hear that your training is going well, but you're keeping expectations lower- it seems I've always performed best when expecting the least! I'm also interested in your injury prevention/treatment. I've been attributing my pains and stiffness to age and/or poor recovery (due to age), but when I hear stories such as yours, I am hopeful that there is more to it- something that can be fixed. These chronic injuries are quite the challenge (how much is mental i.e., not purely physical injury, vs muscle damage, scarring, etc?). I've learned a lot from you and Olga, so Thanks!

Cynthia