Saturday, December 10, 2011

To hell with it!

June 2007—“Man, that sure was fun getting to pace from Foresthill to the finish!  Crossing the River with glow sticks lighting up the rocks on the bottom was surreal. And, getting to hang out at Foresthill from the early morning hours on race day waiting for my runner all day long was sweet, too.”
Fall 2007 – “No biggie! Even if I don’t get picked next Fall, I’ll still ‘in’, based on the two-time loser rule, for the following year in…”.
Fall 2008—The Summer of 2008 fire resulting in the race cancellation guarantees no lottery would be held for the June 2009 race.  “That sucks, but it will just delay my plans for one more year even if I don’t make it through the lottery next Fall—two-time loser rule, ya know…”
Fall 2009—The lottery rules have changed.  Due to all the two-time losers that were carried over from the 2008 race cancellation, they’ve been split up into two groups—one group with guaranteed entry in the June 2010 race and the other group guaranteed to run in June 2011.  And, the two-time loser rule is no longer in effect in favor of a ticket for each consecutive year entered without being chosen via the lottery.  “Well, hell, that sucks!  Back to square one. Maybe, I’ll be lucky”.  Nope…
Summer 2010—Spent an entire week with Olga camping and logging big mile days in the Sierra Nevada backcountry.  Topped off the week by hanging out in Squaw and making a few trips up to the monument, even on race morning.   Hung out on the track and watched Geoff and Tony finish before the sunset. Unreal!  “Man, I can’t wait to run this race!  Hopefully, this Fall the lottery gods will be on my side”.
Fall 2010—Disappointed, yet again.  “I’m beginning to get seriously tired of this cycle.  And, to think I put my whole Winter race season on hold thinking luck would finally be on my side.”
December 10, 2011—Three tickets…  “Damn, there sure are a lot of entrants in the lottery this year.  Not much confidence in getting selected.  I’ll do some yard work to keep the mind occupied and away from the computer.  Plus, I’ll top it off at the coffee shop hanging out with Olga.  No use fretting at this point.  Either I’m ‘in’ or ‘out’.”
I’m “out”.

2 comments:

Olga said...

It's a new dawn out there. I'll meet next sunrise at your side.

meredith said...

I have nothing productive to offer, except that I was cursing the person with the "Kin" in his last name. Everytime I scrolled through and saw it I got my hopes up for you.