And, while I sent out an all points bulletin and a follow-up where I even bribed people to buy breakfast tacos, I began my Saturday morning run alone, in the dark. What's new? Maybe, alone on the trail is how it's supposed to be. That's how I am trying to run 100 milers, although I've failed at my last three attempts. And, those of you who know realize having no crew or pacer and only a drop bag to look forward to can get fairly lonely on a long stretch of single-track, especially after sunset. But, life goes on...
The run I looked forward to the most was yesterday's run. I started out with Olga for a few miles before beginning a tempo session. But, the one thing in the back of my mind was something else that mattered more than the miles or the pace--it was Rick. Ever since the fateful night when he perished in early July 2007, I've never been able to finish a run on the Barton Creek Greenbelt without having thoughts running through my mind of him. I've asked multiple people about the location of where he was found, but have never been able to find the location.
So, while I was nearing the end of the "out" portion of my out and back run yesterday, I came across a section of trail I have ran dozens of times since that fateful night and had an emotional up welling inside of me. It happened instantaneously. This is the same section of trail where I've had a similar feeling before. I continued on to the turnaround point and then began my run back. But, as I approached the trail section where I had that strong emotional feeling, I began taking every side trail looking in earnest for the cross. And, after about ten minutes of searching, I came around a bend and there it was, after having these thoughts in my mind for almost five years. Finally, I was able to pay my respects and spend some time at the location letting my thoughts begin to process.

1 comment:
Great post Larry.
Sounds like Rick was a pretty awesome person, one I wish I'd had the chance to know.
Congrats on the solid training week! Slowly but surely!
Post a Comment