Wednesday, February 8, 2012

Everybody's Shuffling

The "training" is coming along slowly.  Most of the time, I'm logging miles on the road--flat roads.  And, three times this year, I've been on the trails, with one of those being a strong reminder why the road is where my safe place will continue to be.  Just call me a road jogger and a part-time trail shuffler with last week's mileage totals of just under 27 miles. But, it's all good.

Several days ago, I was telling Olga that I really need running.  There have been times over the past few years where I hated running because it wasn't fun. But, perspectives appear to have changed and I'm really enjoying my time on the roads, albeit boring at times, and have missed only one scheduled run this year due to an eight mile trail fiasco that had me hobbling badly near the end. I took the following day off.  But, besides that, I continue to look forward to each run, although the only true "run" I've had occured last night and even that one was flirting with what I consider a jogging pace.

There are only 2 more months until my first ultra and while I had high expectations when I originally signed up a few months ago, the race will not be defined as a "race" for me, but rather a "finish".  That's all I want.  No need to even ponder anything beyond that "finish".

2 comments:

El Jacob said...

Awesome! I too am keeping it easy for now and trying not to do anything stupid. A finish is a win in the next few months...

Olga said...

Yeah, a win, hello...I think I am DREAMING to just finish that damn thing! Thank God it's on trails I've never been before, so I can enjoy the ride, and it's out-n-back somewhat, so once "out", the only way to get home is "back".