Finally had a good week of running with a decent amount of mileage--one of my highest mileage weeks ever. And, that was a good confidence boost after delicately ramping up the mileage since the beginning of the year. I'm grateful the legs are not sore, espcially this morning when I went out for close to 20 miles of road at recovery pace (after 27 miles of rocky trail, knarl trail yesterday morning). But, overall, I was a little tired by the time I finished, but happy I dragged myself out the door this morning.
One of the keys, I believe, to feeling fresh after 7.5 hours of running this weekend is taking a good quality recovery drink. I swear by Ultragen. Taken immediately after a long run, or even a hard effort, makes a huge difference in how I feel on the next run. This is especially crucial as I've gotten older and the body doesn't seem to recover as fast from hard efforts like it used to.
But, even with a good week, it is still one run at a time and focusing no further than the next race, although the one in a few weeks is merely about just finishing without becoming a captive in the pain cave.
The best part of this past week was having Olga give me a sports massage this evening. She has a continuing education requirement to maintain her LMT license and took a class today in Sports Massage. It's a very different type of massage than deep tissue. Of course, I'm still waiting for that hot rocks and scented oil massage from her, but I think hell will freeze over, first. :o)
2 comments:
At least one of the family members has to do the training, and do it well! In all seriousness though I am very proud of the work you put in and glad you feel good with that. I was happy to provide massage as you truly deserve it. In general, I do feel guilty that you don't get treated more (as many probably think) and that by the time we both have spare time, I am too tired and falling asleep.
Either case, for the hot stone and scented oil you may want to look elsewhere:)
LOL!
Glad to hear you're kicking back some decent miles, Larry. Wish I could join you.
Post a Comment