Friday, May 4, 2012

Random Musings

I don't miss the mochas. 

Finally, I've begun hydrating this year, due to the onset of warmer running weather. 

PR'd a climb yesterday evening on the trail, along with the overall loop--not lightning fast by any stretch, but improvement. 

Noticed on my run yesterday that there is a sweet spot where the discomfort settles in and I begin to embrace it and that, in turn, motivates me to keep pushing the pace.

Loud music on my iPod has become a distraction during quality runs--the volume has to be to the level where I can just hear the music and no louder. 

Not certain what I was thinking signing up for a 25 mile race in Colorado; it's going to hurt for a number of reasons--altitude, climbs, I have never pushed hard for that many miles at altitude (going slow when it will be over after 25 miles isn't an option), and the caliber of runners associated with this region means I'll be lucky to finish mid-pack.

Training with a heart rate monitor is a lot of fun and suits me best--didn't realize how much I had missed it.

My "injury" seems to respond better when my weekly mileage is higher and comes back fiercely when I slack on the miles.

I am trying to learn how to not be a quitter in races--the first true test will be in late June (I've DNF'd my last 3 100's:  Bear, Ozark, Ozark). Massanutten was my last 100m finish.

Running for me is mostly mental, once I get in decent physical shape.

The first 10 or 20 minutes of a run are the absolute worst--lethargy, soreness, feelings of a new-born fawn with wobbly legs, my mind telling me to stop running.  Magically, it disappears and all is good in the world.

1 comment:

El Jacob said...

Enjoy the run in CO! What race is it?