Monday, October 20, 2008

Grand Canyon Fun!

I really had a great time this past weekend! My misconceptions about the Grand Canyon were resolved--from not realizing there is a forest of Pine abutting the South Rim to the incredible expanse of the canyon. Pictures do not begin to portray the beauty experienced firsthand. My first glimpse in my life at the canyon was at 5am, Saturday morning under clear skies and a gibbous moon poised directly overhead like a summer sun at noon. To see the Grand Canyon for the first time under the soft moonlight while standing at the precipice of the Bright Angel Trailhead in the cold morning air, was something I will never forget.

Witnessing Olga run, yes run!, from the South Rim to Phantom Ranch with unbridled energy and pure happiness was worth the trip alone. Seeing the Colorado River for the first time after reaching the bottom of the canyon was an awesome sight. The foot bridges spanning the Colorado River were fun to cross, especially Black Bridge, which gains access to the southern side of the river by piercing through a cliff and into a tunnel. The weather was gorgeous. I got to meet Olga's friend,
Angie, and her son. And, I got to see my best friend from high school, who I haven't seen in years and, coincidentally lives in Las Vegas and was kind in allowing Olga and I to stay in his home. I'm a little tired, but it was well worth it. A very fun time!











































4 comments:

Olga said...

Now I wish we went double...have to go back, I guess:) Running is fun. Apparently, I love running. Who would have thought? I really really do love running. I miss it. I want to be back at it. It's soothing. It's refreshing. It's soul healing. It's meditative. It's adrenaline and endorphin elevating. It's heart rate raising. It puts smile on my face. May be it is not my identity. But it is my passion. And I need it.
Good trip. Lots of processing. And still going on. I love trips like that. they remind me I am living, I am alive, and why. Between awesome nature trails and people who have soul deepness that matches the Grand Canyon - it is priceless.

Anonymous said...

it was great to meet you larry! your photos are awesome :)

Anonymous said...

it was great to meet you larry! your photos are awesome :)

Anonymous said...

what's up larry? i'm going out thanksgiving weekend to do the double crossing, and hope that i have as good as a time as you all did.
hope we cross paths this next year sometime.
mike evans