Monday, October 13, 2008

Life lived, life enjoyed

I had a fairly intense training cycle this past week. I couldn’t even coax myself out of bed this morning at 5am to go on a 1.5 hour good pace hilly road run. Instead, I turned off the alarm and slept for two more hours and ended up with nine hours of sleep. One thing is certain--I have a lot of self doubt about my running, nowadays. My legs feel heavy and my tolerance to any anaerobic discomfort is very low. I am beginning to understand running is very mental. And, right now, my focus is definitely not on training. There are too many other happenings in my life which make training for races seem fairly insignificant. I cherish every moment with my son more than ever. And, our relationship and interaction has transformed over the past few months in ways for which I am extremely grateful. He is maturing, even at his young age, and our interactions become more meaningful each time. And, there was a race in New Mexico this past May where I would spend ten very memorable miles on the trail with an amazing individual. And, afterwards, there was serious doubt, due to our personal schedules, if we would see each other, again, before August. And, if we waited until then, would there still be the heightened interest we discovered at the finish line. So, I did something completely out of my character and was spontaneous. I flew to Oregon two weeks post race and it was a decision that has transformed into an unforgettable journey. I never imagined I would stay up late one night longing to give someone a kiss so badly, who lives over 2,000 miles away, that I would purchase an airline ticket 7 hours before the flight. But, I did just that and it was ten memorable, heartfelt hours spent with a very special woman. I’ve always been told I have angels watching over me. I’m more inclined to believe I am actually in love with one…

5 comments:

TonyP said...

I have been having a lot of the same issues lately...trouble getting up at 4:30 am for my morning runs....legs feeling a bit heavy, etc...Perhaps we have just over-used our bodies and need a bit of rest. Hang in there.

Olga said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Olga said...

10 miles, 10 hours...you won't stop at 10 years, right? :)
I know one thing for sure - the memories for both 10M and 10 hrs will last me a lifetime. I certainly hope 10 years is not all I have left to live!
You saw another road. Someone happened to be on this road as well. The rest is, no, not in the books, it's in the process, and beautiful at that.
Now give your kiddie a hug and go for a run:)

Anonymous said...

and all that happened to me out there was getting lost and my butt kicked. ;)
Big smile for what is going on w/ you!

Anonymous said...

Intimacy, love and companionship is something you work at with 110% effort by both parties throughout the entire length of a relationship. If this does not happen equally then the it will fail. One must not let the relationships get to that point. ;)