I got in my last long run this past Saturday night at a 60k trail race. The priority for the race was twofold: 1) stay on top of calories so I wouldn't dig even the slightest deficit, 2) finish well within myself allowing myself to have quality runs for the upcoming final week of training before the taper. Thankfully, I followed the nutrution plan well, although, I may have OD'd slightly on the sodium, and my legs are in great shape.
One thing I am very grateful for is having a great coach who, coincidentally, happens to be my wife! The ability to closely monitor my progress and mental state has been priceless. Yes, I physically did the workouts, but she provided the guidance and inspiration to get me to this point. Getting through the Summer heat, training as consistently as I ever have, and being healthy has been something for which I am very thankful and I owe it, mostly to my beautiful zhena (wife).
I have to admit the nerves are beginning to show themselves as the 24th closely approaches. While it's all on me, I realize anything can happen during a race bringing down all my hopes and aspirations. That is the one thought that keeps my ego contained in a sphere of humbleness. The only thing I can do is give my best effort on race day, whatever that may be. Regardless of the outcome, being honest with myself after all the time spent training this year is all I can do.
3 comments:
I was blessed with a gifted runner to help to:) Not without some resistance at first, but we are a good team, sweetheart.
Ain't nothin gonna bring you down Larry. It's all between your head and your heart dude. Unfortunately, that's the longest road we will ever travel. Wishin you an awesome finish!
Lookin' forward to seeing you at the Bear. Still hoping for that wolverine buckle?
Post a Comment