Sunday, June 22, 2008

Great Weekend

I had a great weekend with my son. I was really looking forward to it earlier in the week, especially, considering he was sick with a high fever most of the week and I was supposed to have him by Thursday. The one thing I notice is how much higher the quality time is with him, since the divorce. We get to hang out, be boys, have a lot of fun, and, even, be goofy if we want.


I made a concerted effort this weekend to not feel the need to entertain him by going out for most of his time with me. That includes eating out. Friday evening, we made homemade chicken noodle soup. Not exactly the best hot weather food, but it tastes so good. I was, actually, in the kitchen beginning to make the soup and he comes in and asked if he could help. "Absolutely!". I had him putting ingredients into a stock pot and showing him how to measure out spices. He stopped me during this particular portion of meal making and told me we had to level the spices in the measuring spoon. I, immediately, picked up on why he was thinking that, since we have done our share of baking together. I explained for baking we wanted to be precise, but for cooking, we could be a little less rigid. He understood and we continued making the soup. I chopped up several chicken breasts and had him add it to the broth. An hour later we were eating chicken noodle soup! He was pretty tired from playing and swimming earlier in the day with his best friend who has moved out of state. He has some very obvious, yet subtle, physical signs when is is sleepy. Things he has done since he was a toddler.


On Saturday, we went to see an early matinee. I can't express how much fun we have spending time together. It is precious to me. We, also, made an impromptu trip to the grocery store for pints of ice cream. I wouldn't dare purchase a half gallon and leave it in the fridge. I'd eat it!!! This morning, he volunteered, again, to help me in the kitchen, with breakfast. We made whole wheat pancakes, mine with fresh blueberries and his without, and scrambled eggs. We went out for lunch at his favorite local burger place and, then, we went to a local running store where I ordered a pair of trail shoes (they didn't have my color...yes! I am fashion conscious on the trail!). I did purchase some new road shoes, which I will try out this week and I'm excited about that. Afterwards, we headed to several stores looking for a particular video game for him before I took him home to his mom's. Leaving was sad for me, as always. I always feel empty when I leave after spending time with him. He does mean the world to me and not being with him at all times does sadden me.


I went to the gym this morning for an early morning spin class. I worked my butt off in there and it was warm and humid during the class. It is a great leg workout, though, and I really had to fight the demons crawling on my back to keep the intensity level up high. It's physically difficult, but at the same time, mentally tough when one's mind is telling you to back off or get off the bike. I'm happy I made it through because it's always satisfying to finish a workout when I go through that process. On the way home, I caught a glimpse of an incredible sunrise. I rushed to my balcony and took several pictures. It was a great way to begin my morning.

2 comments:

Olga said...

It's a beautiful sunrise. And a great picture of the two of you.

Anonymous said...

Awww, he's getting so tall! I can't believe it, where does the time go?! Give him hugs & kisses from his Aunt Jen.