Today is a very big holiday for my love, Olga. It's International Women's Day. In her motherland, it is a very big deal and barely recognized in this country, which is ironic, since it was first observed in the United States in the early 20th century. And, although it's roots are very political, it has morphed into an apolitical official holiday in many countries around the globe, including Russia.The picture I posted above can be loosely translated, besides the reference to the 8th of March (Marta, spelled MAPTA in Cyrillic) as the day of rebellion by working women against kitchen slavery. And the lower text loosely refers to saying "no!" to oppression in regard to household work. The traditional role of the Russian woman has been one of slaving in the kitchen continuously, while also doing all the chores associated with keeping the homestead running smoothly. Thankfully, that has changed, but the cultural roots still run deep in many parts of Russia and I'm certain there are still present day examples where the extreme hard work of women is greatly underappreciated. And, so the struggles continue for some...
Today is a great day to celebrate women worldwide. And, it's not just our significant others who we should honor. It's all women, whether they be grandmothers, mothers, wives, girlfriends, daughters, aunts, cousins, sisters, neighbors, friends, etc. As someone who was without a father for most of my childhood, women played a significant role in my life. There are too many to mention, but I often remember how each has made a positive impact in the individual I am today. Thank God for women!
2 comments:
The poster cracked me up! Now you know why I said I don't like to cook...unless I am praised profusely.
Amen. Thank God for women.
Post a Comment