I ran my first race of the year, albeit an 25k. While my finishing time, 2:29:30, may seem pedestrian-like based on what my past times at shorter distance have been, I walked away pleased with what I mustered for the day. I did the best I felt I could do and consider it one of my more honest efforts. I began calf cramping, a very old and forgotten nemesis for the past few years, during the last 4 miles, but managed somehow to keep it in semi-check and didn't let it slow me down. And, in the end, I managed to surprise myself by coming in just under 2:30 when it was looking like 2:40 would be more likely with 4.5 miles to go.
 |
| 25k Course Profile (Bandera) |
I've got one more race on my calendar next month where, again, I expect no miracles based on my physical conditioning, but I am at peace with that, which has been a long process to accept. What the future holds for me in running is sincerely unknown right now. I'm not certain a 100 miler is something I'm willing to invest my personal and emotional time with right now. But, the shorter distances do hold some allure, especially, 50k and below. And, I still hold on to the notion that I have not reached my potential in running and, maybe, that's unrealistic. Then, again, it could just be human nature to have these thoughts and that is what propels some of us in life to live a certain way regardless of whether, or not, it's realistic. But I'd like to think I know myself better than most when it comes to my running and that I haven't given a full honest effort in training for a race and then trusting myself enough in a race to stay with the effort until the end instead of easing off early in the race at the first sign of discomfort. Believe me, I've got that skill down to a fine art form.
But, while my training may have been lackluster for a 25k, my victory was in giving it my best, even when I could have easily eased up on the effort when it began to get tough. Instead, I pushed myself the last 5 miles to 175bpm, and above, and topped out at 182 as I crossed the finish line. And, in the end, that's all that matters--I finished.
 |
| 200 yards from the Finish Line |
1 comment:
Nice work, buddy!
Post a Comment